Wiki Loves Living Heritage
International Cooperation Activity
17/03/2023 0:00 - 31/12/2023 0:00
Global | Helsinki | Maria01other
Establishment of networks
Wiki Loves Living Heritage is a participatory, community-driven initiative calling on heritage practitioners, Wikimedia volunteers and cultural institutions around the world to document and celebrate living heritage. It seeks to combine awareness-raising and documenting activities – online and on the ground – to enhance the safeguarding of living heritage worldwide.
Join the launch event on 17 March at 13–14.30 UTC!
The year-round calendar of activities will include:
- Documenting living heritage through photography, video, and text, made available in over 300 languages on the Wikimedia platforms, for open access, in collaboration between the participating communities.
- Local and thematic activities organized year-long, around already existing celebrations, events or projects that any of the community members are part of.
- Online campaigns with thematic and regional focus, supported and amplified by the Wiki Loves Living Heritage movement through all its channels.
The campaign includes a component of skills sharing, allowing anyone interested to learn how to share materials on Wikimedia projects and engage. The program will provide documentation of best practices, tools to arrange activities, and webinars for exchanging experiences.
Wiki Loves Living Heritage makes a strong commitment to ethical sharing while it promotes open access to cultural heritage. The materials will be produced in collaboration with the heritage communities or by themselves and the campaign is implemented at the pace and scope of the will of living heritage bearers and practitioners.
The project website features living heritage elements inscribed on the UNESCO Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage and of the Register of Good Safeguarding Practices, national inventories as well as heritage elements added to the project by any of the participants.
The campaign is arranged in the context of the 20th anniversary of the UNESCO 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. It is initiated by the European network of focal points for the UNESCO 2003 Convention (ENFP) and AvoinGLAM. It is supported by European Heritage Days Network, Flemish Commission for UNESCO and Workshop intangible heritage Flanders in Belgium, Quebec Council for Living Heritage, Finnish Heritage Agency, Culture Ireland, Dutch Centre for Intangible Cultural Heritage and Federal Office of Culture Switzerland.
To learn more about the ‘Wiki Loves Living Heritage’ global campaign, please:
- Visit its website and the FAQ section
- Watch the video describing the initiative
- Get in touch with your national Wikimedia affiliates
- Subscribe to the Wiki Loves Living Heritage newsletter
- Contact the organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The campaign is global, online as well as on-site, and it aims at a linguistically rich participation.