Celebration of International Decade of Indigenous Languages
29/09/2023 10:00 - 15:00
Asia and the Pacific | Ri-Bhoi | University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya
Community event - Awareness
Languages: Assamese, Hindi, English, Rabha
The event will feature a dynamic program designed to engage and educate students on the importance of indigenous languages within the context of social work and cultural preservation. The following activities and sessions are planned:
- Inaugural Ceremony: A formal opening ceremony featuring guest speakers, including indigenous language experts and community leaders.
- Keynote Address: Mr. Nethi Sai Kiran, Founder at Boli Cheto will deliver a keynote address on the “Significance of IDIL and the role of Social Workers in Language preservation”
- Panel Discussions: Panels of indigenous language speakers, social workers, and academics will discuss the challenges and opportunities related to indigenous language preservation and cultural revitalization.
- Special Talk: by Mr. Naresh Babu Kunche, former PMRDF, Topic: “People Led Development”
- Interactive Workshops: Workshops will be conducted on topics such as language documentation, community-based language revitalization, and the role of social work in supporting indigenous communities.
By the end of the event, participants should have a deeper understanding of the importance of indigenous languages, the challenges faced by indigenous communities, and the role that social workers can play in supporting language preservation and cultural revitalization efforts.